15 Reasons to Visit the Yorkshire Dales
The Yorkshire Dales National Park has something for everyone. Whether you’re planning a relaxing country retreat, visiting with your family or looking for an adventure, you’ll find an unforgettable experience waiting for you. There are many fantastic reasons to visit the Yorkshire Dales.
Our Top 15
- The Yorkshire Dales are incredible for walking. If you love getting out and about, you’re sure to enjoy the many pleasant walks the area has to offer, or you might like to cycle.
- When you’re exploring the Dales, take the opportunity to escape from light pollution. You can find some wonderful dark spots for stargazing, without the disturbance of artificial lights.
- History lovers will enjoy the historic sites and museums available. Visit places like Bolton Castle and the Dales Countryside Museum to learn fascinating new things about the national park and its history.
- If you love visiting grand stately homes wherever you go, the Yorkshire Dales has plenty for you. Head to Newby Hall, built by Sir Christopher Wren, and adapted by John Carr and Robert Adam.
- The Dales can help you to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life, but they’re also very accessible. You can get away from it all, without being too far away.
- You don’t have to enjoy walking or cycling to enjoy the beautiful scenery that the area has to offer. You can admire the views in whichever way you want.
- If you’re with your family, open farms like Hesketh Farm Park and Holme Open Farm are perfect days out. Spend time petting and feeding the animals, and enjoying the outdoors.
- If you’re looking for a thrill, you can head for Europe’s longest roller coaster at Lightwater Valley or check out the Aerial Extreme zip wires and rope course.
- Fans of rail travel and trains will love taking a journey through the Dales. The journey from Settle to Carlisle takes you through tunnels and viaducts, and there’s a steam railway to enjoy too.
- Learn how to brew beer on a tour at Black Sheep Brewery or Theakstons Breweries for a fun rainy-day activity that will allow you to enjoy one of the nation’s favourite drinks.
- You can explore some interesting caves, such as Ingleborough Cave and the White Scar Caves, as well as the tunnels and chambers of Forbidden Corner.
- Anyone who enjoys climbing will also find lots of great places to go in the Yorkshire Dales, with plenty of climbing routes to try out
- Don’t leave the Yorkshire Dales without enjoying some Yorkshire tea. Find one of the area’s tea rooms for a delicious experience.
- The region is also well known for its cheese – and there’s even a Yorkshire Dales Cheese Festival. Remember to pick up some Wensleydale to take home.
- There are always events and festivals aplenty, including the award-winning Swaledale Festival celebrating local music and arts.
Everyone can find something to love about the Yorkshire Dales. It’s the perfect place for a UK holiday.